RafSoftware just announced Remoter VNC 2.02 for iOS, their app that enables users to remotely control Mac, Windows, or Linux computers from their iOS device using the platform-independent VNC protocol version 3.8. The app uses Bonjour and NetBIOS. Telnet and SSH support are available as in-app purchases. SSH also allows for secure VNC over SSH.
The app offers one of the fastest implementations of the VNC protocol on the iOS platform. Operation is intuitive, with a well thought out interface that allows users to either tap on the screen and have taps converted into clicks on the remote system, or use a unique “virtual trackpad” that gives users precise control, and ease of use. A drag or stylus mode on the iPad version is also provided, this gives users the ability of easily drag items, or draw on their computers by using a stylus, or their fingers, on the iPad.
Session set-up is simple, all systems from the WiFi network are found using both the Bonjour and NetBIOS standards. The user then taps on the desired connection, and all queried information such as computer name, IP address, service port, and more auto-populates the set-up screen. The user then only needs to enter the VNC password to complete setup. A button labeled “Advanced” reveals many useful advanced options, like color depth, server scaling setting, compression level and more.
While connected to a server, the app supports both landscape and portrait mode, full-screen mode, different pre-set zoom levels, along with a smooth pinch-to-zoom interface. Pasting text from Viagra Online the device’s pasteboard is also supported for all connection modes. External keyboard support, either USB or Bluetooth is also provided.
* Fast VNC (Virtual Network Computing) protocol 3.8 supported
* Universal Binary – native support for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
* International keyboard support for servers that do not support direct input mode: German, Russian, French, and Spanish Keyboard mappings
* Virtual TrackPad allows for precise and intuitive control – three TrackPad modes and Left-Handed option
* Most OSs running a VNC server are supported: Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X
* Wake-on-LAN support
* Supports both Landscape and Portrait orientations
* Support for SSH and Telnet, VNC over SSH, and arbitrary SSH port tunnels via In-App purchases
* Pinch to zoom in and out; or press the Zoom button to go from Fit Height, Fit Width, and 1:1
* Special Keys: Esc, Tab, Alt, Up, Down, Right, Left, PageUp, PageDown, F1-F12, Control-Alt-Delete, etc.
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* iOS 3.1.2 or later (iOS 4 tested)
* Universal Binary
* 4.1 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Remoter VNC 2.02 is now at the special price of $0.99 (USD) with free lifetime upgrades, and is available worldwide through the App Store in the Productivity category. In-app purchases are available that enhance the functionality of Remoter VNC. The SSH add-on is $0.99 and adds Secure Shell connections, VNC over SSH and arbitrary TCP tunnels. The Telnet add-on is $1.99 and adds Telnet server connectivity. The Remoter Complete add-on is $3.99 and includes both SSH and Telnet add-ons, plus free lifetime upgrades for all new and revised add-ons.